Learn about residential parking, how to report illegal parking, how to pay parking tickets online– and more.
The City restricts times, duration, usage and location of parking spaces through on-street signs and regulations. We manage the parking needs of our residents, commuters and visitors to maintain a smooth flow of traffic throughout Burnaby.
To request parking enforcement in your area, call the Parking Bylaw Enforcement Office at 604-570-3660.
Monday-Friday: 6:30 am-6 pm
Saturday-Sunday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Outside office hours: Call Burnaby RCMP at 604-646-9999
Street parking is open to everyone and available on a first-come, first-served basis. You can legally park on a street unless there's a City sign that says otherwise. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- The City doesn't provide Residential Parking Only Permits except near Burnaby General Hospital. This is to ensure the area is accessible to all residents and visitors.
- You can't save the parking spot in front of your home using cones, pylons or buckets.
- Visitors and non-residents can park in a legal parking space for 3 hours only, between 8 am-6 pm.
- Trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 13,646 kg aren't allowed to park on any street that's not a designated truck route.
- Vehicles with a GVW of over 3,636 kg: trailers, mobile homes, RVs or campers (even when detached), can only park on the street for a maximum of 2 hours between 1 am-6 am.
You can pay your parking ticket online through the City of Burnaby portal. You can pay securely and easily using your credit card (VISA, MasterCard and American Express). Keep either the ticket/bylaw notice number or your licence plate number handy.
You may be issued a ticket for several reasons, including parking:
- without paying at a meter
- your RV, camper or trailer on a street
- on the street outside approved hours
- too close to a stop sign or crosswalk (less than 6 metres), fire hydrant (less than 5 metres) or in a bus zone
- too far from the curb (more than 30 cm)
- on the same side as a school between 8 am-5 pm
- for advertising, wrecking, storing or repairing
- more than 3 motorcycles in a metered space
- where it's prohibited
You can pay to park at more than 2,000 parking meters in the city with the free PayByPhone smartphone app.
- No more expired meters. Add more time without returning to your vehicle.
- Get reminders before your time on the meter expires.
- View the full history of your parking receipts.
If you want to dispute a parking ticket, do so before paying your ticket within 14 days of the issuance date. You can file your dispute online. For information on the dispute process, visit the dispute a ticket page.
Questions and answers
You can claim your vehicle at one of Mundie's Towing and Recovery lots, located at 6938 Kingsway Ave or 5917 Thorne Ave. Call Mundie's first at 604-526-9677 to confirm your vehicle is in one of these lots.
Yes. You will need a container permit.
Call Parking Services 604-297-4913 or email [email protected].
City parking meters have a rate range of $1 to $3 per hour between 6 am-8 pm.
Have questions? Contact us:
- For ticket-related questions, call Parking Enforcement at 604-294-7630.
- If you're unable to pay a parking ticket online, call Revenue Services at 604-294-7934.
- Having problems with payment by PayByPhone? Contact PayByPhone 24 hour customer support at 1-877-610-2054.
- For all other queries, contact Parking Services at 604-297-4913 or email [email protected].