City Hall Complex Closing Early on October 21

Posted October 21, 2019

Burnaby City Hall, the West Building and Civic Offices at Deer Lake Centre are closing at 4:00 PM today in order to provide staff at these locations the allotted required time to vote in the Federal election. We apologize for any inconvenience.

 > Home > City Services > Permits & Licences > Licences > Home Based Business Licence

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Home Based Business Licence

City Introduces House Rental Business Licence

Starting in October, owners of single- and two-family homes in Burnaby will be asked to fill out a Supplementary Utility Fees Declaration indicating whether or not they are renting out their home or any suite on the property. (Please note: apple device users must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to complete this fillable form. This app is available via the app store.)

For 2020 the new declaration will also address those homeowners who rent out their home, and do not live on the premises. Instead of additional utility fees, homeowners renting out their home will be required to pay a similar fee, by purchasing a House Rental Business Licence. The licence fee will be $570 – equivalent to the utility fee charged to homeowners with rental suites. Please Note: Application is subject to a $50 non-refundable fee as specified in Bylaw #3089. An invoice will be issued after the application is processed and payment can be made online or by mail.

Home based businesses are permitted at all approved residential locations in Burnaby, with the exception of mobile home parks. Your home based business is required to hold a business licence and comply with all bylaw requirements;

Home based business

Getting Your Business Licence

Who Needs a Business Licence?

The Zoning Bylaws defines "Home Occupation" as an occupation or profession that is incidental to the use of a dwelling unit for residential purposes, or to the residential use of a lot occupied by a dwelling. 

This includes:

  • The office or studio of a person engaged in business, art, health, crafts or instruction

All businesses in Burnaby require a licence.  More information can be found on our Business Licence page.

Application & Fees

Business licence applications and fees are accepted at the Burnaby Licence Office. Where applications are received electronically, by fax, or by mail, Licence Office staff will contact the applicant regarding their application.

Once the Licence Office has reviewed your application for completeness, you will be contacted and advised of the applicable fee. Fees are payable by cash, cheque, Interac or you can now pay online by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express). Per the City of Burnaby Fee Recovery Bylaw 13640; for payments made by credit card a fee of 1.75% will be charged at the time of the transaction to recover the costs the City of Burnaby pays for accepting credit cards as payment.

Home Based Business Licence Fees

First Year Annual Renewal
Home Based Business - Contractor (Cert.) $380.00 $130.00
Home Based Business - Craft $380.00 $80.00
Home Based Business - General $380.00  $130.00 
House Rental Business - Single- and two-family homes (with or without a suite) that are rented and not occupied by the property owner $570.00 $570.00


For more information on application and fees, please Contact the Licence Office.
  • Bylaws

    Burnaby BylawsMoreLook through this directory of all City Bylaws online.
  • Burnaby Board of Trade

    Burnaby Board of TradeMoreRecognized for its leadership, the Board supports local businesses
  • Small Business BC

    Small Business BCMoreServices and resources for small business owners in BC.
  • Canada Business

    Canada BusinessMorePlan a successful start to your entrepreneurship journey in Canada.